The pandemic shows no signs of slowing, with worldwide infections surpassing 50 million. Cases in the U.S. topped 100,000 for a fourth day, bringing the nation’s total close to the 10 million mark. U.S. President-elect Joe Biden will speak Monday on his strategy to “beat Covid 19,” with plans to appoint a 12-member coronavirus task force. Utah, facing overcrowded hospitals, issued a state of emergency and ordered a mask mandate.
Germany has more severe Covid patients than at any point since the pandemic began, underscoring the urgency facing authorities to contain the disease. China will disinfect all overseas shipments of cold-chain products, after contaminated pork and seafood were implicated in the infection of port workers.
- Global Tracker: Cases surpass 50.4 million; deaths top 1.25 million
- Biden launches transition, Covid plan
- With pivots and new products, some travel companies are thriving
- After crushing Covid, Melbourne emerges wary and more sedate
- With U.S. cases at record levels, hospitalizations may be next
- Vaccine Tracker: Clinical trials restart in hopeful sign